'Sarsoo Ka Sag and Makki ke Roti.
Last week's (2nd week of Nov. 2017) recipe
Can see the recipes under 'Lingering Tastes of North India. weeks
This is winter delicious meal of Punjab.
Vegetable Pulau (mixture of rice, vegetables and Green Lentil khichdi) (Oct. 2017) Recipe
Khichdi has been declared as a National Dish in the 'World Food India Fair' - 2017 which was held in New Delhi on 13th, 14th, and 15th Nov.
This simple dish of rice, lentils and spices is Tasty and loaded with nutrition. Every Indian State has its own version of Khichdi.
918 kilos of khichdi was cooked in a specially made stainless steel wok that weighed about 300 kg and had a capacity of 1,000 liters. The dish was made with 125 kilos of rice, 50 kilos of moong Dal -lentil- 200 kilos of solid ingredients such as millet, jowar and ghee and 700 liters of water. Team of 30 cooks lead by chef Sanjeev Kapoor helped with its preparation and thereby entered the Guinness World Records for the largest serving of a beans and rice dish in the world. The grains and ingredients from across the country were used in making the dish.
"Khichdi is a complete food in itself as it contains all nutrients and it is a gift to the world from India. It is a recipe for good health and is a super food, ' Baba Ramdev said.
I too have my version of this super food the recipe of which I am giving under the Recipe of the week.
Agra Kichidri- Vegetalbe Lentil Pulau Serves: 8
Preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes plus 15 minutes soaking time
A healthy, complete meal served with Yogurt or Raita.
200gm (6oz) basmati rice
150gm (4oz) Split Moong lentil (green lentil)
200gm (6oz) frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, beans, peas and corn)
1 green chili, finely chopped
75gm (2oz) Cauliflower cut into ½” floret pieces
4 medium size button mushrooms, each cut in four pieces
200gm (6oz) paneer, cut in ½” cubes, lightly stir fried
1 ½ - 2tsp salt
1tsp amchur (dried mango powder)
½tsp each red chili powder and black pepper
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp asafetida (hinge)
4Tbsp canola oil or clarified butter
8-10 slivered almonds, stir-fried
½ medium onion, thinly sliced in long pieces
Potato fries: 1 medium large potato, cut into long 2-2 ½ “and ¼ “thick pieces. Cooked and lightly fried to light brown.
1. Pick, clean, wash and soak rice and lentil together for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside till needed.
2. Defrost the frozen vegetables and microwave in water for 1 minute. Microwave cauliflower for 1 minute, cauliflower should be crisp.
3. In a large pan, heat oil, add onion slices and fry to golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
4. Add cumin seeds in the hot oil and cook till the seeds start fluttering add the rest of the vegetables with chopped green chili, except Paneer cubes. Cook until the moisture evaporates completely and the vegetables are slightly cooked (5-7minutes).
5. Add drained rice and lentil. Mix and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, red chili powder, asafetida and amchur. Mix. Cook for 1 minute then add 20oz water. Stir, cover and bring to a boil on medium high heat.
6. Uncover, lower heat to medium. Add Paneer cubes and almonds mix gently. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes more or until the water evaporates and the Khachidri is cooked, which will resemble a vegetable rice dish.
Garnish with fried onion and potato fries before serving.
Serve hot with yogurt or raita.
Besides Khichdi here are some attractive appetizers which you can enjoy during the festivals.