Mudras for health: The combination of therapies includes therapeutic stretching, joint mobilization, soft tissue manipulation, Rhythmic rocking, acupressure and energy balance with assisted Yoga postures, Asana, Mudras and Bands. With this combining powerful tool you can direct your body’s own vital force towards healing yourself on all levels, emotional, mental and physical. Yoga therapies tab your body’s power to heal. By this one can explore the therapies suited for him or her and ways for one to better care for oneself *Pivot: Simple exercise to mobilize whole body and promote co-ordination. Benefits: Pivot is good for the spine, shoulders, hips, arms and legs.
Mudra Therapy is one of the non-medical modes of treatment which helps without harming by side effects. Mudras (Hasta-mudras) are various postures of fingers and thumbs. In Mudra Therapy, different diseases are treated by holding and retaining the fingers and the thumbs in different ways. This simple treatment, amazingly restore a state of balance within the body and strengthens the patients’ immunity. Mudras are quite simple, easy to perform by most of the people, expect for those who have stiff/ arthritic fingers. The stiff/arthritic fingers can be treated by physiotherapy and massage. I have treated my locked and stiff fingers by getting physiotherapy and massage session in the Natural Health Center at Palampur in Himachal, India. Also it is in expansive form of self- treatment. Mudras help young children and even insane people. Note: However, one should understand that Mudra Therapy is not a panacea or a ‘cure-all’. There are certain disorders where Mudras-Therapy has no role to play in the treatment, such as cataract, a big hole in the ear-drum, etc. disorders that need surgical intervention. Arthritis can be treated by some of the Mudras such as Vaayu Shaamak (Vaayu decreasing mudra). According to Ayurveda the arthritic pains are caused by the increase of vaayu (wind) in the body, so to reduce it pressure is put on specific points on the fingers and form the mudras.
Diseases that can be treated by Mudra Therapy are caused by 1) An imbalance of one or more of the 5 elements that constitute the body and/or 2) An aggravation of one or more of the 3 bodily humors. Fingers and thumbs are representatives of these elements and humors. Therefore we can manipulate fingers and thumbs (i.e. hold them in different postures or mudras to rebalance and regulate the elements and humors and thus, restore health. Mudras are also used in classic Dances.
Mudras for health:
Bandhas are powerful energy locks, mudras or energy seals, act more gently. If the mudra also involves contraction of the muscles, then it becomes a bandha.
These mudras can be done while doing any Pranayam. This way Mudras are more beneficial. Following are some of the mudras with their health benefits.
1. Meditation Mudra: This pose calms the mind and is a good preparation pose for meditation.
Meditation Mudra: Thumb represents Fire or Sun and Index finger represents Wind or Air. This mudra is formed when one touches the thumb with index finger. This interlocking of fingers increase brain- power, mental concentration, memory etc. thus cures sleeplessness.
2. Vaayu Mudra: The index finger is kept at the base of the thumb at the mount of Varun, pressed with the thumb. Cures rheumatism, arthritis, gout, Parkinson’s disease and blood circulation problems. Cures high blood pressure.
3. Shunya mudra (Space, Sky): Bend your middle finger at the mount of venus and press it with the thumb. With the combination of these fingers, the mudras thus formed can control the five basic elements of which the body is formed. Do this 40 to 60 minutes to get best results. This helps to cure earache, deafness, vertigo etc.
4. Apaan Vaayu Mudra: Mudra of the Heart Touch the big finger to the tip of thumb. This is beneficial for gas, constipation, gall colic, high blood pressure and headaches.
5. Prithvi Mudra (Earth): Touch ring finger with your thumb. It gives new vigor and peace of mind, it increases life force, cures weakness of the body and soul.
6. Pran Mudra (Life) Here press the ring finger and little finger at the tip of the thumb. This is beneficial for the diseases which are cured by Vayu Mudra. This mudra gives better results also it increase life force and cures nervousness and fatigue. Helps increase power of the eyes and reduce the use of glasses.